Thursday, October 31, 2013
This was one of my favorite meals when I was growing up. It is super easy to make and good comfort food. The only downside to it is that it cooks for an hour and a half, so it doesn't end up being a meal I can make on a week night very easily.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
From: My Mom
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
1 cup white rice
1 can french onion soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup water
1 - 2 lbs chicken breasts
Salt & Pepper
1. In a 9x13 pan mix together 2 cans of soup and water until mixed. Stir in rice.
2. Place chicken (either whole breasts or cut in half) on top of rice mixture.
3. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
I wanted to use some salmon I had, but didn't want to go out to the grocery store for any ingredients and didn't have time to marinade the salmon, so of course I went to pinterest. After a few busts, I found this recipe. I had all the ingredients in the house and it was really quick to make. We both enjoyed the flavor of this and I think I will keep it close at hand the next time I cook salmon.
Honey Soy Salmon
From: Smart and Sassy Mom
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Salmon fillets (2)
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1. Preheat broiler. Combine honey with soy sauce in a small bowl.
2. Season the salmon filets with sea salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Broil for 5 minutes.
3. Drizzle with honey-soy sauce and broil an additional 5-7 minutes.
Sunday, October 27, 2013
This recipe might be the easiest recipe I've ever made. I like baked potatoes, but I don't really want to wait on a week night for them to cook in the oven, or I just don't want to heat the house up with the oven. This is the perfect solution and the potatoes are cooked just perfectly!
Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
From: Skip to my Lou
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 8 hrs
1. Wash potatoes and wrap each potato in aluminum foil.
2. Place potatoes in crock pot and cook on low for at least 8 hrs.
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
I bought some Kale at the farmer's market this week and wanted to saute some up. I did a quick search and found this really easy recipe. It was pretty tasty and nice and quick to whip up for a side.
Easy Sauteed Kale
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5-7 min
1 bunch of kale, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp oive oil
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat
2. Add crushed red pepper flacks if using and let them heat in the oil Add garlic and cook until soft, but not colored
3. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine.
4. Cover and cook for 5 minutes
6. Remove lid and continue to cook, stirring until all (most) of the liquid has evaporated.
7. Season with salt and pepper and add vinegar. Toss and serve.
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
This casserole is pretty easy to make and is quite tasty and filling. I loved it with black olives, but for those of you that don't like them, they could be easily left out. It also makes a lot so it is good for a crowd (or to have some leftovers)!
Easy Mexican Casserole
From: All Recipes
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
1 lb lean ground beef
2 cups salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups tortilla chips, crushed
2 cups sour cream
1/2 can of black olives, sliced
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Add salsa, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in beans and heat through.
3. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread crushed tortilla chips in pan, and then spoon beef mixture over chips.
4. Spread sour cream over beef, and sprinkle olives, green onions, and tomato over the sour cream. Top with Cheddar cheese.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.