Friends of ours got me the book Gluten is My Bitch when they found out I had Celiac Disease. It was informative and funny and also included some recipes. The first one I tried was Gluten Free Zuchini Muffins since I had some zucchinis from the farmers market. It did take me a few stops to find xanthan gum (which of course I found at Whole Foods). They didn't look exactly like regular muffins (they don't settle into the muffing tins) but I think they turned out pretty tasty! We ate half for breakfasts and then froze half for the following week.
Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins
From: Gluten is My Bitch
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25-30 min
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups grated fresh zucchini (about 4 small zucchinis)
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
3 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease muffin cups in muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the grated zucchini and then the melted butter. sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the zucchini mixture and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, nutmeg and cinnamon. (I only used half the amount of nutmeg it called for because I don't like an overpowering nutmeg taste). Slowly stir dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture.
4. Distribute muffin batter evenly among the cups, filling cups up completely.
5. Bake on middle rack until muffins are golden brown and the tops of the muffins bounce back when you press on them (25-30 min) or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
6. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and let cool another 20 minutes. Makes 18-20 muffins. I stored 1/2 of mine in the freezer to eat later.