Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Low Fat Chicken Tacos

I have been following a bunch of different cooking blogs, and one of the ones I read is My Cooking Quest. I found a delicious Taco Recipe there. It is pretty easy and since I like tacos, I thought I would try it. I have definitely added this to my rotating recipes of tacos... the more recipes the better, keeps it interesting! I made it a bit differently than his recipe, but not much.

Low Fat Chicken Tacos
From: My Cooking Quest

Ingredients:
Corn Tortillas
1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into small cubes)
1/2 tsp salt
2-4 tsp oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 large yellow onion (chopped)
1 bell pepper (seeded and sliced)
1 large garlic clove
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Cup Salsa
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
(NOTE: the original recipe called for a jalapeno, but when i made these, no one was supposed to be eating jalapenos so I omitted it, it was still delicious, and I have just decided to omit it for good, especially since Bil isn't a huge fan of hot stuff)

Directions:
1. Pat Chicken dry with paper towel to remove moisture

2. Heat 1-2 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. When oil is heated, add the chicken to cook, stirring until all sides are browned (approx 4-6 min). If too much liquid forms at the bottom of the pan, pour off the liquid (brown bits on the bottom of the pan is good though)

3. When chicken is browned, remove from pan to a bowl and set aside.

4. In the same pan, add 1-2 Tbsp oil, and turn down heat to medium.

5. When oil is hot, add onions, stir, and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. As liquid forms on the bottom of the pan from the onions, scrape up the browned bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan.

6. Then add bell pepper, garlic, cumin (and jalapeno if desired). Continue to stir, and cook for 3-4 min until peppers are still bright but still remain crisp.

7. Stir in the salsa and the chicken you set aside. Cook stirring until the chicken is hot, about 3-4 more min.

8. Remove from heat and stir in Cilantro.

9. Serve in warm Tortillas with garnishes to your liking.

As you can see I am still using my favorite side of Rice and Black Beans for this dish... I am still looking for suggestions on what to serve as a side all my Mexican dishes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails