Sunday, October 31, 2010

PW's Perfect Pot Roast

Bill bought me the Pioneer Woman's Cookbook a while back and one of the recipes I have always wanted to try is her Perfect Pot Roast.  I was home most of the day yesterday so I decided it was a good day to finally try it.  It was delicious plus I got to use my dutch oven which I love!  I will definitely make this again, and maybe throw in some potatoes or make some mashed potatoes on the side. I have a recipe for a pot roast that is made in a slow cooker (which I haven't posted yet) and that one is great for a weekday, but if you have the time I think this one is worth it!  Also, her cookbook is awesome (as is her website) I highly recommend both!



PW's Perfect Pot Roast
From: The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
3-5 lb Chuck Roast
2 Onions (cut in half, skin removed and ends cut off)
6-8 carrots (washed and cut into 2 inch slices)
1 cup red wine (can use beef broth instead)
2 - 2 1/2 cups beef broth
3-4 fresh Rosemary Sprigs
2-3 fresh thyme sprigs
Kosher salt
pepper
2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.

2. Heat a large pot or Dutch Oven over Medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and let it get really hot.  While it heats, prepare vegetables and generously salt the chuck roast on both sides with Kosher salt.

3. When pot is very hot, place onions in the oil and brown on both sides, about one minute per side.  Remove to a plate.  Add carrots to the same pot and toss around until slightly brown, about one minute or so.  Remove to plate.

4. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pot, pepper the meat to taste, then place in the pot and sear it, about a minute per side.  Remove to plate.

5. With the burner on high, add 1 cup of wine (or beef stock), whisking constantly.  Try to loosen the brown flavorful pits off the bottom of the pan.

6. When most of the bits are loosened, place the meat back in the pot, followed by carrots and onions.  Pour enough beef stock to cover the meat half way (about 1 - 1 1/2 cups more).

7.  Place fresh rosemary in and thyme sprigs into the liquid in the pot, then cover and roast in the oven for 3-5 hours, depending on the size of your roast.
**** Note: Do not disrupt the roast during cooking process. A 3 lb roast should take 3-3 1/2 hrs, 5 lb roast should take about 4-5 hours.*****

9.  When done cooking, check roast for doneness - a fork should go in easily and the meat should be very tender.  Remove to a cutting board and slice against the grain (or pull apart with forks).  Serve with juices over the top.

I served this with my mom's recipe for mashed potatoes (coming up next), but you could probably also put potatoes in the with the pot roast if you prefer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to try it!!

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

I need to make this again soon...so juicy and yummy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails