Saturday, September 8, 2012

Refrigerator Oatmeal - Pinterest FAIL




I saw this on Pinterest and really wanted to try it. I dragged my feet because I couldn't find Chia seeds at any of my regular grocery stores, so I finally broke down and bought some from amazon.  I was excited for this to be a potential every day breakfast since it sounded so easy and making it the night before even better.  Plus, eating out of a mason jar always makes things that much better.  Unfortunately it was too good to be true.  The consistency was gloppy, the flavor was blah and cold oatmeal isn't all that appealing.  I made 2 flavors and the cinnamon one was better than the Banana Peanut Butter, but neither of us had more than a few bites.  Bill, bless his heart, suggested maybe heating it up would taste better.  It didn't.

Even though this didn't turn out to be very good, I wanted to post it because I know it keeps going around Pinterest and thought people might appreciate hearing about someone who tried the recipe.  Plus, now I have a whole bag of Chia Seeds and don't know what to do with them so if anyone has any recipes that include chia seeds, please let me know!

***Apple Cinnamon***
*** Banana Peanut Butter***

Refrigerator Oatmeal - Pinterest FAIL
From: The Yummy Life
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 0 min

Ingredients:
1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 tspn dried chia seeds
1 tspn honey
For Apple Cinnamon: 
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
For Banana Peanut Butter:
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1/4 cup diced ripe banana

Directions:
 1. In a half pint or larger jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and honey.  Add cinnamon for apple-cinnamon and add peanut butter for banana-peanut butter.  Put lid on jar and shake well until combined.

2.  Remove lid, add bananas or applesauce (depending on which you are making) and stir until mixed throughout.

3. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.  Eat Chilled.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails