Friday, November 9, 2012

Pasta with Toasted Garlic, Dried Cranberries, Kale, Kalamata Olives, & Feta




When I saw this recipe it was said that this is the "best pasta dish ever." So I had to try it.  Plus I have been trying to find recipes to use Kale in besides just making Kale Chips.

I liked it a LOT, maybe not the best pasta ever but it was very good and pretty darn easy.  I knew this recipe might not be Bill's favorite though, because he isn't big on sweet stuff like cranberries in his main dish and because it didn't have meat.  So I bought a rotisserie chicken to have on the side (I didn't have any because the pasta was all I needed, but he cut it up and mixed it in with the pasta) and hoped for the best.

As predicted, Bill didn't love it like I did. He said if I changed the kale to spinach and got rid of the cranberries, it would be a home-run,  without the changes he said it was still a delicious meal.  I liked the Kale, but could live without the cranberries so I may try leaving out the cranberries next time and see how it tastes.


Pasta with Toasted Garlic, Dried Cranberries, Kale, Kalamata Olives, and Feta
From: Iowa Girl Eats
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 - 20 min

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 small red onion, minced
salt & pepper
1/4 cup dried cranberries
4 cups torn kale (I removed the stem-vein almost all the way up)
1/4 cup water
4 -6 oz spaghetti
1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese.

Directions:
1. Cook spaghetti according to directions until al dente.

2. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.  Add garlic slices then cook, stirring almost constantly, until slices are pale golden brown.  Remove to a plate and set aside.

2.  Turn heat down to medium, then add red onion.  Season with salt and pepper then cook until golden-brown and tender, about 3 minutes.

3. Add cranberries and kale, season with more salt and pepper, then add water, place lid on top of the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until kale is tender.

4. Add kalamata olives to cooked kale and cranberry mixture. Transfer cooked spaghetti to skillet, then toss to combine all ingredients.  Add up to 1/4 cup pasta cooking water if needed.  Divide between planes and top with feta cheese and cooked garlic slices.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails