Monday, February 21, 2011

Sesame-Soy Salmon

 

 This was the very first recipe I made when I got my Cast Iron Dutch oven from my mom a while ago.  I saw it first on Ashley's blog and thought it looked delicious and realized it was in the cookbook my mom gave me (Glorious One-Pot Meals).  I made this again yesterday and realized that I never posted it when I made it the first time. I love making the entire meal in one pot (and I especially love using my cast iron dutch oven) and this one was really tasty. I was surprised at how light it was as well as how well the avocado worked with the Asian flavors. I might double mixture that gets put over top for flavor though next time to amp it up a little.


Sesame-Soy Salmon
From: Glorious One-Pot Meals and Ashley

Ingredients:
2 1/2 tsp sesame oil or canola oil spray
1 cup jasmine rice
1/2 to 3/4 pound salmon fillet
2 carrots, julienned
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/8 tsp sugar
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 head red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 avocado, sliced

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees

2. Coat the inside and lid of a cast-iron Dutch oven with 2 tsp of the sesame oil or spray with canola oil.

3. Rinse the rice in a strainer under cold water until the water runs clear.  Tip the rice into the pot.  Add 1 cup plus Tbsp water (or broth) and stir to make an even layer.  Place the salmon in the pot and scatter the carrots on top of the fish.

4. In a small bowl, mix the remaining sesame oil, the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, and lemon juice. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour half of the mixture into the pot

5. Layer in the cabbage and top with the avocado.  Pour the rest of the soy sauce mixture over the top.

6. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

This post reminds me I need to try more recipes from that cookbook! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails