Thursday, July 7, 2011

Poppy Seed Bread

 

Here's a secret... I don't really like most bread.  I know it isn't a well kept secret since I have mentioned it a few times.  I usually only serve bread when we have company (much to Bill's dismay).  But one bread I do like is Lemon Poppy Seed.  When I saw Ashley's recipe for Poppy Seed Bread I knew I wanted to give it a try. I have actually been wanting to try this for a while but since it makes 2 loafs I wanted to make it when we were having a gathering of people, so I waited to make it for a bridal shower my mom and I hosted in May.  It doesn't have lemon in it but it was still delish and the glaze was perfect (and surprisingly easier than the ingredients look).  I may try adding lemon next time though - I think it would be spectacular.

Poppy Seed Bread

Ingredients:
For the Bread
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds

For the Glaze
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream oil and sugar together in an stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer. Add eggs and mix well. Mix the vanilla, almond, and butter with the milk. In a small bowl mix flour, salt, and baking soda.

2. Alternately add in milk and dry ingredients to the sugar/egg mixture. Mix well after each addition. Add in poppy seeds and mix. 

3. Pour into 2 large greased and floured bead pans. 

4. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes. While baking make the glaze by whisking all ingredients together. After removing bread from the oven, punch holes in the top with a fork. Pour glaze over bread and let sit for at least 20 minutes.

5. Remove from bread pans. Slice and serve.     


1 comment:

Mark Dutch Oven said...

This recipe looks great. I'm going to try it on my back porch with my camp dutch ovens!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails