*** Please excuse the photo quality. These were taken a long time ago and the lighting is horrific***
My dad gave me a cookbook a while back that had a compilation of recipes from the town I grew up in. One of the first ones that appealed to me was the Mexican Bean and Tortilla Pia... a Mexican dish... shocking I know, something new for me. I have to be honest. I made this a long time ago and forgot all about that I hadn't posted it until I came across pictures of the dish. If memory serves, it was quite tasty and I will need to make it again asap to ensure it is just as delicious as I remember (and maybe take some better pictures).
Mexican Bean and Tortilla Pie
From: More Mentoring Masterpieces
1 cup canned tomato sauce
3/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
5 medium corn tortillas (6")
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
1 (8oz) can chopped green chiles
1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine tomato sauce, salsa, cilantro, chili powder and cumin in a small bowl.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook each tortilla 1 minute, turning once, until lightly toasted.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup of tomato sauce mixture on on bottom of 9 inch pie plate. Top with a tortilla and 1/4 cup more sauce. Spread with 1/2 cup mashed beans. Top with 2 Tbsp green chiles and 1 Tbsp cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients to corm 3 more layers.
5. Top with remaining tortilla, sauce and cheese. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Uncover and bake 5 minutes, until heated through and sauce is bubbling around edges. Cut into 6 wedges and serve with sour cream and avocados.