Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bread and Butter Pickles


My mom told me she made some bread and butter pickles earlier this summer.  I tasted them, and I was so jealous and knew I wanted to try it myself ASAP.  So I got her recipe and stole some of her jars and set aside some time to make my own. I got a bunch of pickles from the farmers market and decided to also make some dill pickles (that recipe to come).  It was very easy and all of my jars sealed!  I love hearing the popping noise after canning, makes me feel like a job well done. 

Bread and Butter Pickles
From: My Mom

Ingredients:
6 qts. sliced pickles
3 medium onions, sliced
1 cup salt
9 cups cold water
3 pts. vinegar
6 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp alum
1 Tbs tumeric
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed


Directions:
1. Slice pickles and onion.  Mix salt and cold water together and pour over pickles and onions.  Let sit 3 hours in refrigerator. 

2. Sterilize jars, lids and rings, either in dishwasher or pot of boiling water.

3. In a large pot combine vinegar, sugar, alum, tumeric, mustard seed, and celery seed. Drain pickles and onions and add to pot.  Heat mixture, but do not boil

4. Take one heated jar, fill with pickle and onion mixture, bringing liquid up to 1/2 in from top.  Seal with sterilized lid and screw ring on tightly.  Leave on Counter 24 hours before moving to a cool dry place.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails