Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chicken, Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas

In keeping with my Mexican theme, I tried a new recipe this week that I found online HERE. I really like corn tortillas over flour tortillas so I can't believe I hadn't ever tried to make enchiladas before. I added a few ingredients (corn and black beans) that weren't called for in the original recipe, because I think corn and black beans can be added to almost anything,l :) in fact, I sometimes add corn to my black beans and rice just to make it a little more interesting.

I used red enchilada sauce this first time, but I might try the green next time. Also I may suggest a half a batch if you only have 2 people to feed like we do, there was a LOT left over.

Note: I realize that is a pretty big can of beans in the pic... I did not use them all in the enchiladas, I used some, and then cooked the rest up for rice and beans on the side of the enchiladas, if you aren't making rice and beans I suggest a smaller can.

Chicken Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas
From: Serious Eats
Prep Time: 10-15 min
Cook Time: 25-30 min

Ingredients:
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (1 1/2 lbs) - Again, because I'm lazy, I got a rotisserie chicken and pulled it apart, and I didn't measure if it was 2 cups.
12 oz shredded cheese (I used cheddar jack)
1 -2 cups enchilada sauce
1 to 2 (4-oz) cans chpped green chiles, drained
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
salt and pepper
12 corn tortillas
1 small can of corn
1/2 to 1 can of Black beans (drained)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F

2. Combine the chicken, 2 cups of cheese, and 1/2 - 3/4 cup of the enchilada sauce, chiles, corn, black beans, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste

3. Stack the tortillas on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave until warm and pliable, (40-60 seconds)

4. Lightly coat a 9x13 pan with non stick spray.

5. Spread 1/3 cup filling evenly down the center of each tortilla.

You may notice that there isn't a ton of cilantro... I get lazy pulling the cilantro off so I just pulled until I got tired of it, and didn't really measure. I might use more next time.

6. Tightly role the tortilla around the filling and lay seam-side down in the backing dish (you may have to lay a few sideways or on top of each other to get them to all fit)

7. Lightly spray the enchiladas with non stick spray (you can skip this step if you want, it is meant to keep the tortillas intact during backing, but not crucial).

8. Pour remaining 1-1 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce all over the enchiladas so they are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over all.

9. Cover with foil and bake until the enchiladas are heated through (20-25 min)

10. Remove the foil and back until the cheese browns, about 5 min. more.

11. Serve. I served it with some salsa and sour cream. Avocado slices, line wedge, and cilantro garnish would have made it pretty and added to the deliciousness as well.

Doesn't look all that pretty, but it was delicious!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails