Monday, March 7, 2011

Fancy Broccoli



On a blog I read (Big Mama) she raved about this broccoli as the best broccoli she ever had. Bill is a fan of broccoli and it is one of our go-to sides, however, I never seem to know what to do with it, so I usually just steam it - BORING! So when I saw this recipe I knew I needed to give it a try. It was really delicious - might even be the best broccoli I have ever had and can you really go wrong with garlic, lemon and Parmesan? I had never really tasted broccoli cooked like this before and I'm glad I tried it.  It is slightly more work than just steaming it, but not that much more and it is worth it.  Also I think you could easily leave the cheese out if you wanted to make it a little healthier, but I love me some Parmesan!  I have definitely been using this occasionally to spice up our broccoli options!

Fancy Broccoli
From: Amateur Gourmet via Big Mama

Ingredients:
Broccoli (2 bunches or more)
Olive oil
salt and pepper
2-4 cloves of garlic (peeled and sliced)
lemon
Parmesan cheese
Pine nuts, if desired (I left those out)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 and cut broccoli into florets (but relatively big ones). Wash if desired but make sure you thoroughly dry them before cooking. Put broccoli on an foil lined cookie sheet.  Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add garlic slices and toss all together.

2.  Roast in the oven 20 minutes or until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned. Shake halfway through cooking

3. When it's done, take it out of the oven and zest a lemon over the broccoli, squeeze half lemon juice over the broccoli, add 1 1/2 Tbsp more olive oil if desired, and 3 Tbs toasted pine nuts (I left those out), and 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.

1 comment:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

Mmmm, I love the idea of roasting broccoli. May have to try this one when my parents visit this weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails