Thursday, November 10, 2011

Caprese Quinoa



In September (yes I realize I'm posting this way late), I bought a ton of heirloom tomatoes when I was at the farmers market in my hometown in Michigan because they were $2.99 a pound.  A POUND!  'Round these parts the are more than twice that when they are in season. After I had made several rounds of my favorite salad I thought I would try something new.  I already had all of the ingredients for this in the house, so I knew it was meant to be.  I didn't end up doing the infused basil oil Jessica called for, but I still think it was great. I served it with butternut squash soup and it was a great Meatless Monday (although I think it was actually a Thursday).


Caprese Quinoa
From: How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
16 oz container of grape tomatoes, quartered
3/4 cup fresh mozzarella pearls cut in half
10 large basil leaves, cut into ribbons
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

Directions:
1. Prepare quinoa according to directions on box (which is most likely: 2 cups water + 1 cup quinoa, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 min).

2. Depending on whether you want your quinoa hot or cold either let it cool completely or immediately add in the tomatoes, cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.


1 comment:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

What a great idea to add in some quinoa to such a delicious salad. I am always looking for new ways to use quinoa and trick Eric into eating it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails