Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup



I love fall soups so I knew I had to try this recipe when my Cooks Illustrated came this fall.  At first I was a little skeptical about microwaving the squash instead of roasting it, but the soup turned out soooo good (and faster than roasting it)!  It had fantastic flavor and made a big pot of creamy goodness even though didn't have any cream or milk. I only wish my pictures were better of it.  I guess that is as good as it gets when I take pictures of my food in my kitchen with no windows, at night, with a point and shoot camera that my dog recently chewed up!  But believe me, this soup is fantastic!

- The first few times I made it I served with a dollop of sour cream.  but I've since stopped doing it, I don't think it is needed since the soup is rich, creamy, and delicious all on its own.


 
Butternut Squash Soup
From: Cooks Illustrated

Ingredients:
2 1/2 pound butternut squash (about one whole squash) peeled, seeded, and cut into 2 inch chunks
2 Tbsp butter
1 leek, white and light green parts only, quartered lengthwise, sliced thin, and washed thoroughly
4 cups vegetable broth
1-2 cups water
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
pinch cayenne pepper
sour cream

Directions:
1. Place squash in bowl, cover, and microwave until paring knife glides easily through flesh, 14-18 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Carefully transfer squash to colander set in bowl (squash will be very hot) and drain for 5 minutes; reserve liquid.

2. Melt butter in dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add squash, leek, and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until squash pieces begin to break down and brown fond forms in bottom of pot, 10-13 minutes.

3. Add 2 cups broth and scrape bottom of pot to loosen and dissolve fond.  Add remaining 2 cups broth, reserve squash liquid, 1 cup water, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, and cayenne.  Increase heat to high and bring to simmer.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer until leeks are fully tender, 6-7 minutes.

4. Remove and discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs.  Working in batches, process soup blender until smooth 1- 2 minutes (or use your immersion blender like I did). Return soup to pot and bring to simmer, thinning with up to 1 cup water to desired consistency.  Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.

1 comment:

Dan Bos said...

Don't you mean "Squatternut bosh"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails