Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stoplight Corn Chowder



I seem to be on a Soup kick!  I guess with winter winding down, I realized there were a lot of soup recipes I have wanted to try and post.  I always love a good corn chowder and was really excited when Ashley posted this one from Food and Whine.  It was really easy and I really liked the flavor and consistency. I like that it included beans and left out potatoes, I also liked the red, yellow, and green (stoplight!) colors.


Stoplight Corn Chowder
From Ashley's cooking adventures

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cups corn
1 can navy beans
2 vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes
3 Tbsp flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
optional for garnish: crushed tortilla chips,cilantro, sliced green onions

Directions:
1. In the bottom of a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add pepper and onions and saute until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in corn.

2. Crumble bouillon over pepper and corn mixture.  Sprinkle flour atop peppers.  Whisk in milk.

3. Stir over medium heat until chowder begins to thicken (about 10 min).  Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.  Garnish if desired before serving.

2 comments:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

I loved this soup. It tasted better the 2nd day, did you notice that?

Elizabeth said...

I agree, I loved it even more the second day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails