Thursday, November 17, 2011

Black Bean Soup


I love black beans but had never made black bean soup.  I finally made this one I saw on Ashley's blog and it was so good, I could eat it every day (or at least once a week).  It was so simple, that I just might.  I didn't even need anything with it - although Bill had a sandwich with it.



Black Bean Soup
From: Ashley
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 20 min

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (I used a small can of green chiles because I didn't have a jalapeno)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
dash of cayenne
2 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups beef broth
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the onion, jalapeno and garlic and cook until soft, about five minutes.  Stir in chili powder, cumin, and cayenne.

2. Add beans and broth and simmer for fifteen minutes.

3. Use hand blender to puree soup about halfway (or remove 1 1/2 cups of the soup and puree in a blender then return to pot.

4. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.  Ladle into individual bowls and add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve with Tortilla chips.


1 comment:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

So glad you liked it, it's such a great, easy soup!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails