Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homemade Marshmallows

 

I've seen a lot of recipes for homemade marshmallows and wanted to try them, but was deterred because I didn't have a candy thermometer.  I decided I wanted to give them a go this past weekend since Bill was gone and I had some time on my hands.  Low and behold my grocery store sells candy thermometers and they are only $5! So I bought one and reprimanded myself that a little $5 thermometer was getting in the way of me making these.  The only bad thing is that right after I made these, I washed the thermometer and accidentally dropped it on the tile floor where it shattered.  Oh well.

These took some time and I had my doubts while I was making the since I was sure I did about 3 of the steps wrong, but they turned out fantastic!  So light and fluffy and way better than store bought!!! I ate about 5 of them immediately and another 5 in a mug of hot chocolate and have been munching on them ever since! Definitely make these, they are worth the time!




Homemade Marshmallows
From: Ashley's Cooking Adventures
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time 15 min
Chill time: 3 hours

Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold water, divided
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites
1 Tbsp vanilla
optional: food coloring for tinting (I omitted)

Directions:
1. Oil bottom and sides of 9x13 pan and dust bottom and sides with some powdered sugar.

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water and let stand to soften.

3. In a 3 quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, second 1/2 cup of cold water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved.  Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 240 degrees, about 12 minutes.

4. Remove pan from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture.  Stir until gelatin is dissolved.

5. With standing or hand held mixer, beat the mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume, about 6 minutes if using a stand mixer or about 10 minutes if using hand-held mixture.

6. In a separate medium bowl with cleaned beater, beat egg whites until they just hold off stiff peaks.  Beat egg whites and vanilla into sugar mixture until just combined.

7.  Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan and don't worry if you don't get every little bit out.  Sift 1/4 cup powdered sugar evenly over top.  Chill, uncovered until firm, at least 3 hours and up to one day.

8.  Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board.  Lifting up one corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and ease onto cutting board. Trim the edges of the marshmallows and cut into roughly one-inch cubes.  Sift the remaining confectioners' sugar back int other baking pan and roll all of the marshmallows through it, so that each side is coated. Shake off the excess sugar. Marshmallows will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for one week.



2 comments:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

Yay, you made them! I remember being so worried the whole time that I was messing them up, then somehow they turn out magically perfect. Did you use them in any other recipes??

Elizabeth said...

I mainly have been eating them plain or in hot chocolate, but tonight I made them in a smores cup recipe. Delish as expected!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails