Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Red Wine, Goat Cheese and Mushroom Risotto



This is another recipe I made while Bill was gone because he doesn't like goat cheese (GASP!) and I'm a big fan.  I love pretty much any type of risotto, and this did not disappoint. The goat cheese made it even creamier than the ones I make with Parmesan.  The red color is a little disturbing, but I got over it as soon as I tasted my first bite.



Red Wine, Goat Cheese and Mushroom Risotto
From: How Sweet it is
Prep time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup red wine
3-4 cups chicken stock
6 oz goat cheese
Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
fresh basil for topping

Directions:
1. Bring the stock to a simmer in a saucepan. In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tbs butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring until nicely coated.

2. Add the wine. Slowly stir, allowing the rice to absorb the wine. Once the wine is almost completely absorbed, add 1/2 cup of stock to the rice. Continue to stir until the liquid is almost completely absorbed. Then add more stock in 1/2 cup increments. Stir often to prevent teh rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Continue adding broth and stirring until absorbed until the rice is tender, but still firm to the bite, about 15 to 20 Min.

3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp Olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter over low heat, then add mushrooms.  Let cook for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are juicy and caramelized.

4. Once rice is cooked to desired tenderness, reduced heat to low and add in salt, pepper, 5 ounces of goat cheese and mushrooms, then stir.  Serve with remaining goat cheese crumbled on top and a sprinkling of fresh basil. 

1 comment:

RuthS said...

How about the next time Bill is out of town, we get together and make this dish? I love risotto (esp from Pazzo's), but I'm so afraid to try to make it myself... And, I'm a huge goat cheese fan!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails