Monday, April 19, 2010

Pasta alla Vodka


I have always enjoyed Pasta with Vodka sauce, but have never tried it at home.  When I came across this recipe from the Pioneer Woman, I new I had to try it.  It uses quite a lot of vodka, more than I thought it would, but was very tasty and had a very smooth finish.  Bill liked it also, however, like most things I make without meat, he said it would be good with chicken. I'm sure it would be good with Chicken, but I really enjoyed it without as well!


Pasta alla Vodka
From: The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
3/4 - 1 cup vodka
1 can tomato puree (as you can see mine is a large can, I couldn't find anything smaller so I used about half of it but a little more wouldn't have hurt)
1 cup heavy cream
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
1 lb penne pasta
1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
1. Cook Penne past according to package directions, being careful not to overcook.

2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and butter.  When butter is melted, add in chopped onions and garlic. Stir and allow to cook for 2 min.

3. Pour in vodka.  Stir and cook for 3 min.

4. Add tomato puree and stir.  Reduce heat to low and stir in cream.  Allow to simmer, being careful not to overheat.

6. Stir in red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.

7.  Drain the pasta (reserve 1 cup pasta water in case sauce is to thick),.

8.  Add cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to combine.  Splash in a little water if needed.  Stir in Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails