Sunday, January 12, 2014

Mexican Tortilla Soup


My brother and sister-in-law showed me this soup, and since the sent a picture of their bowls, I couldn't stop thinking about making it.  It doesn't include tortillas, and that is the one thing I hate about tortilla soup, so I knew I had to make it asap. So this afternoon I got to work making it.  Other than having to chop a bunch of veggies very small, it comes together very easily. I was skeptical about using 3-4 jalapenos, so I used 2 instead and it wasn't overly spicy, so I think next time I will go for 3 or 4.  It was really tasty, and a perfect light but tasty and filling soup!


Mexican Tortilla Soup (without tortillas)
From: Tasebook
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook time 35 min

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
3-4 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
3-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Toppings: avocado (sliced), shredded cheese, cilantro (chopped), sour cream

Directions:
1. Bring broth to boil in a large saucepan over medium heat; keep warm

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the chicken and garlic and cook until the chicken is nicely browned, 5-6 min.

3. Add cooked chicken, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and jalapenos to the stock. Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.  Add the salt and black pepper to taste.

4. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with sliced avocado, cheese, cilantro, and a spoonful of sour cream.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails