Monday, March 29, 2010

Homemade Granola

My mom makes a great homemade granola, but since that is a family secret recipe she got from her cousin who owns a bed and breakfast, I wanted to find a recipe I could use more regularly (and share with you).  I found this recipe from Ashley, who got it from Kiss My Spatula

This was really easy to make, and I love that it included flax seed.  I used a little less coconut than was called for, and left out the Hazelnuts all together.  Next time I might try replacing the hazelnuts with cashews.

I am convinced that my oven cooks hotter than what I set it at, and this recipe only fueled my theory.  My granola got a little over cooked, but still tasted good (although I did have to remove a few random burnt pieces).  I recommend taking yours out of the oven just before it looks as brown as mine does.

I don't know if I am ready to declare this recipe the 'Best Homemade Granola' like Ashly and KMS did since I think the one my mom makes is still my favorite, but this is definitely up there.  I also think that it is hard to declare it the 'best' when I overcooked the batch.  I will have to reevaluate after I make the next batch.


Homemade Granola
From: Ashley

Ingredients:
4 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
1 cup shredded coconut (I only used 1/2 cup)
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup apple juice
1 cup dried cranberries or your favorite dried fruit (I used a mix of cranberries and raisins)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In large mixing bowl stir together the nuts, oats, flax seed, brown sugar, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg ans salt.

2. In small bowl whisk together oil, honey, and apple juice.

3.  Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and stir until all the oats and nuts are coated. Spread onto a cookie sheet.

4.  Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until th mixture forms a nice, even golden brown (about 30 minutes with a regular oven that isn't out to burn everything you make)

5.  Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, stirring occasionally.  Add the dried fruit.  Store granola in airtight container.

1 comment:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

Mine got a teeny bit overdone around the edges of the pan, I think that you really have to watch it! I'm glad you liked it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails