Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mexican Baked Eggs

 


If you couldn't tell by now, I love Mexican food.  When I saw these eggs at Closet Cooking I immediately looked in my pantry and had almost everything so I made it with what I had.  And it was fantastic!  I did overcook the eggs a little bit so I will have to perfect that the next time (and there will be a next time).  Below is the variation of the recipe I used based on what I had in the house, which I found to be perfect!


Mexican Baked Eggs
From: Closet Cooking and Kalyns Kitchen
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chipotle chili powder (I used Chili powder)
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1 can rotel (or diced tomatoes with chiles)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp oregano
1 handful cilantro, chopped
4 -6 eggs
1/4 - 1/2 cup grated cheese

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat

2. Add onions and saute until tender

3. Add the garlic, cumin, chipotle chili powder, and jalapeno saute until fragrant, about one minute.

4. Add tomatoes and black beans and bring to a boil  Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10-20 min.

5. Remove from heat and stir in cliantro.  Place half of mixture into one or more baking dishes sprayed with cooking spray, top with the eggs and spoon the remaining mixture around the eggs.

6. Bake in preheated 350 oven until the eggs just start to set, about 5-8 minutes.

7. Top with the cheese and broil until it melts, no more than a minute or so. Serve with salsa and sour cream.


4 comments:

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

I have been meaning to make a recipe like this from Kalyn's Kitchen! Sometimes it's scary how similar our recipes are! :) Looks amazing!!!

Elizabeth said...

Closet cooking originally got the recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen as well, but made a few changes. I love Kalyn's kitchen - so many good, healthy and easy recipes. :)

Jacki said...

I made this for dinner tonight - thumbs up from both the hubby and me! Thanks, Elizabeth!

Elizabeth said...

Glad you liked them Jacki! Breakfast for dinner... mmmm!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails