Friday, December 30, 2011

Eggs Benedict/ Hollandaise Sauce




Eggs Benedict always looks and sounds so delicious while at the same time it scares me a little bit.  The thought of the Hollandaise weirds me out a little bit, mainly because of all that butter and that if done wrong it can scramble the egg yolks. But I decided I had some time over the Christmas weekend so I gave it a shot. It came out delicious! and the timing wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected.

I did add a slice of tomato on each one and used deli ham instead of Canadian Bacon because I didn't have any and it was divine.  I think I might try to do one with asparagus soon.  mmmm so many combinations - why have I waited so long!


Eggs Benedict/Hollandaise Sauce
From: Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
2 English Muffins
4 slices Canadian Bacon
4 Whole Eggs & 3 Egg Yolks
2 Sticks Butter
1 Whole Lemon, Juiced
Cayenne Pepper to Taste
(Makes 4 English muffin halves)

Directions:
1. Boil water.  While the water is coming to a boil toast English muffins in Toaster or broiler.  Can broil the ham with the muffins.

2. When water boils use either an egg poaching pan (which I don't have) or swirl water with a spoon in regular pan and drop in eggs (I slide them out of a ramekin to help the process).  Cook eggs for about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes.

3. Melt 2 sticks(!) of butter until melted and sizzling but not boiling/burning.  Separate 3 egg yolks and place them in the blender.  Blend yolks together and then with the blender on low, SLOWLY pour in hot butter into the blender in a thin stream. When butter is gone, immediately begin adding lemon juice into blender.  Then add Cayenne pepper (I didn't add very much, but will try adding more next time).

4.  Place English muffins on the plate face up, layer on Canadian bacon (or ham) on each half.  Then I added a slice of tomato on top of the ham. Place egg on top and then top with a generous helping of Hollandaise sauce.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails