Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Homemade Peanut Butter (or other nut butters)



I wanted to try my hand at making my own peanut butter because from what I had read/heard it was pretty easy.  When on a costco run with my friend I picked up a huge thing of peanuts, almonds, and cashews and decided to give it a try (although you don't need huge amounts of nuts).  It was so interesting to me how the nuts go through different stages and it seems like it will never become a nut butter, but then, it finally does!  And it is so delicious! I stored mine in a jar in the fridge.  After making a Peanut Butter, I then made a cashew/almond butter and both were very good.  I read  somewhere that sunflower seeds are a good addition so I may have to try that sometime. If you are thinking of making your own peanut butter, you should definitely give it a try.


Homemade Peanut Butter (or other nut butters)
From: Elizabeth's Dutch Oven
Prep Time: 5 min

Ingredients:
Peanuts (or cashews, or almonds, or any nut)

Directions:
1. Place 1 -2 cups of nuts in your food processor.  Alternate between leaving it on and pulsing. (Anywhere from 3-5 minutes) Occasionally you may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula.

2. The nuts will go from powdered, to wet, then to smooth eventually, so be patient! You can also add a 1/4 tsp of vanilla if you want.

*** I did one batch with just peanuts, and one batch with 1/2 almonds and 1/2 cashews.  Both were delicious!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails