Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Not Your Average Rotel



So I have decided that this week is Mexican week. I love Mexican (authentic or otherwise), I could probably eat it everyday, and since I already posted one of my favorites I figured I would keep the ball rolling. I realize that most if not super authentic Mexican, but they are delicious! I got this recipe from one of my favorite cooking blogs, The Pioneer Woman. You can see the original here. It is a little like Rotel (what we call velveeta cheese melted with Rotel tomatoes or sometimes just salsa), plus some extra flavors.



Not Your Average Rotel
From: The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
2 lb Package Velveeta Cheese
1 lb package Hot Breakfast Sausage
1/2 large onion
1 regular can Rotel
1 7-oz can diced green chilies
1 to 3 finely diced jalapeno peppers (according to heat preference - we only used one and removed the seeds to keep it more mild)

Directions:
1. Chop the onion and brown with the breakfast sausage. Drain excess Fat.

Beginning of Browning

End of Browning

2. Cut Velveeta into cubes and add to warm skillet.

3. Add Rotel and Green chilies (I only used a 4 oz can because I bought the wrong size, and it still turned out delicious)

4. Stir together over low heat until mixture is melted.

5. Add jalapenos, stir together and serv warm with tortilla Chips

***NOTE: This make quite a bit, so you may want to freeze some for a later date. In fact I just remembered I have some in my freezer right now... mmmmm.

1 comment:

Frugal Jen said...

My mother in law makes the same dip. We love it!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails