Thursday, March 7, 2013

Super Food Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette




This salad appealed to me because, of course, it is healthy (Super Foods!) but mainly because I'm always looking for a salad that is a little more exciting than just lettuce and a couple of veggies thrown in.  Add to that some of my favorite ingredients (avocado, black beans, corn!) and it became a must try for me.

We had this with some soup and I thought it was great!  Filling but light. I had a bunch left over and was able to have it for lunch and I think it may have even tasted better the 2nd day.  Bill liked it, but wasn't a big fan of the pomegranate.  He liked the taste but not the crunch with juice (which just means he doesn't like pomegranate seeds in general).  I would definitely make this again, but maybe have the pomegranate on the side for me to add to just my bowl.

Super Food Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
From: Iowa Girl Eats
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min

Ingredients:
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1 orange, peeled and segments chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup pomegranate arils (about 1 pom worth)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed (or 1 can)
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
salt and peper

For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
2 lemons, juiced (need 1/4 cup juice)
2 garlic cloves, minced
dash of sugar or sweetener
salt and pepper
6 Tbsp Olive Oil

Directions:
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions.  Set aside to cool.

2. Combine all ingredients for lemon vinaigrette in a jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake to combine.

3. Combine cooled quinoa with red onion, orange segments, avocado, beans, pomegranate arils, corn, cilantro, salt and pepper.  Pour dressing over the salad and stir to combine.  Serve cold or at room temperature.  (Chicken or Shrimp can be added)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails