Monday, March 4, 2013

Fresh Pea Risotto



I LOVE risotto - pretty much any kind.  So I decided to try this Fresh Pea Risotto for Valentine's Day.  Although, it is supposed to be made with fresh peas (hence the name) and I made it with frozen peas... don't judge me... it is what I had in the house. It turned out really great, and as easy as any of the many other risottos I've made in them past.  Although, I think next time I might add a little prosciutto to put it over the top.

And while you are thinking I made this for myself on Valentine's day when I should have been making things for Bill.  Don't worry, I made him a nice big steak with mushrooms, broccoli (yes he is a fan of broccoli), and lava cakes for dessert to go with the risotto.  A little of my favorites, and a little of his. 

Fresh Pea Risotto
From: What's Gaby Cooking
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Arborio Rice
1 cup white wine
2 1/2 - 3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups frozen peas (or fresh)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat chicken stock until just boiling, then turn to low heat.

2. Divide peas in half.  Take one half of the peas and put them into a food processor with 1/4 cup of water and pulse until they are completely pureed. Set aside.

3. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the shallot and saute until translucent.  Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute more.  Add the Arborio rice to the skillet, making sure to stir it around in the olive oil so that the rice is completely coated and toast for about 90 seconds.

4. Add white wine to the pan and stir until all the wine is absorbed.  Begin adding chicken stock one ladle full at a time, making sure to not add more until the previous addition has been absorbed.

5. Once rice is just tender (about 20 min), add the cheese and combine.  Stir in the peas and pea puree to the risotto.  Remove from heat and taste.  Add more cheese or salt and pepper if desired.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails