This is a quick and easy side from my South Beach Diet Cookbook. You could probably easily make this with fresh spinach as well and it would probably be even better!
Quick Creamed Spinach
From: South Beach Diet Cookbook
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
1 bag frozen spinach (16oz)
3/4 cup fat-free milk
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, cut into chunks and softened
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, minced
pinch ground nutmeg
salt & pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place the thawed spinach in a colander set over a large bowl; squeeze to extract the juice. Pour 2 Tbsp of the juice into a cup and reserve Discard any remaining juice.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the spinach juice, milk, and cream cheese. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring and pushing the cream cheese against the pan to break up (The mixture should be well combined but will not be smooth.) Remove the pan from the heat.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, stirring to coat. Stir in the milk mixture and cook until bubbling, about 3 minutes.
5. Season the spinach with nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve hot.