Monday, May 20, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Quinoa with Broccoli, Carrots and Cucumbers



I saw this on pinterest, it reminded me of something I get from Protein bar on a regular basis and knew I had to make it.  After I looked at the recipe, I decided I wanted to make it more of a main dish, less of a salad. So I made a few changes, but not many.  Results?  I made it twice in two weeks - so obviously thought it was good.   It is a meal in a bowl and as you suspect, it is very filling and buffalo-y.  The recipe called for blue cheese, but Bill doesn't like goat cheese, so I used Feta (and one time I used Goat cheese on just my bowl).  So feel free to use what ever cheese you prefer!

(Not pictured - Lawry's Salt)

Buffalo Chicken Quinoa with Broccoli, Carrots and Cucumbers
Adapted from: Half Baked Harvest
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 cup broccoli florets
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cucumber, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (or feta, or goat cheese)
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 -3/4 cup hot sauce (I used Franks buffalo sauce)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used Lawry's)

Directions:
1. In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse quinoa well and drain.  In a medium pot, combine quinoa and water.  Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low.  Cook until all the water is absorbed, about 13-15 minutes.  Remove from the heat, fluff the quinoa with a fork.

2. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare other ingredients. Chop onions and cucumbers.  Steam broccoli (I steam for about 8 min).

3. Make buffalo sauce  by combining olive oil, hot sauce and seasoned salt in a small bowl and whisk to combine. 

4.  Put warm chicken in a bowl and add 1/2 of the sauce.  Stir to coat chicken.

5. When Quinoa is ready add the chicken, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, and the rest of the sauce and toss well.  Add the cheese and half of the green onions.  Toss again and serve warm topped with green onions and cheese crumbles.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails