Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What's For Lunch Wednesday: Veggie Hummus Pita



I decided to try something new, as you can probably tell from the name of the post, it is called What's For Lunch Wednesday.  I struggle with coming up with healthy lunches (or snacks) for work.  So I am going to start doing What's For Lunch Wednesday to share some of the things I'm coming up with to eat at work, and I'm hoping you will share in the comments what you are eating to give me some more ideas.  I don't promise I will post every Wednesday but I'm going to try to do it at least 2 times a month.  Also, since I will be at work, I won't have any pictures of the ingredients and most of my pictures will be taken at my desk with my iphone.

When I lived in Holland there was a place called Nature's Market that I used to like to go to get a sandwich.  I'm not really a fan of a traditional sandwich but this place had really good whole grain bread and I would get the hummus and veggie sandwich. I decided to try to make my own to bring for lunch. The beauty of this is you can use whatever veggies you want (or whatever you have on hand) and as many as you want.  I just cut up a bunch of veggies and threw them in a small Tupperware and assembled the sandwich at work.  It turned out to be really good and filling!

Please let me know in the comments what you are having today (or what some of your favorites are)!  I could use more ideas!

What's For Lunch Wednesday: Veggie Hummus Pita
From: Elizabeth's Dutch Oven
Prep time: 10 min
 
Ingredients:
Hummus (homemade or store bought - I used Athenos Original)
Whole Wheat Pita Pockets
Assorted veggies I used:
- Lettuce
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Tomatoes, sliced (or halved if you use grape)
- Red, Yellow, Orange, or Green Peppers (sliced)
- Edamame
Use any veggies you like (other suggestions: spinach, shredded carrots, alpha sprouts, red or green onion, corn, avocado, etc)

Directions:
1. Open pita and slather on a good amount of hummus along one side of the pita (try to spread it all the way to the edges).

2. Fill pocket with assorted veggies.  Enjoy!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails