Thursday, May 9, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars




Like a lot of people these days, I'm trying to make my snacks instead of buying granola/snack bars that I don't really love or know what exactly is in them.  This one looked not only easy, but delicious.  I think they turned out great, and were great to bring with to work for a snack when I'm feeling like a need something a little sweet in the afternoon.  I might try throwing Chia Seeds in the mix next time.  I do suggest storing them in the fridge because i left one at my desk all morning and it was still delicious, but a little difficult to eat because it was soft.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
From:  The Marathon Mom
Prep/cook time: 10 min
Chill time: 1 hr
Makes 8-10 bars

Ingredients:
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup local honey
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup oats (not quick oats)
2 Tbsp wheat germ or ground flax seed (we used Flax)
1/2 cup coconut (I used some slivered almonds because I wasn't too keen on coconut)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Melt the butter, peanut butter, and honey in a pot over medium to low heat, stirring constantly.  Turn off the burner when mixture is melted together.

2. Pour in the cup of oats and Flax/Wheat germ.  Stir til combined.

3.  Wait until it cools and stir in the almonds/coconut and chocolate chips.  Or you can put both in before it cools and the chocolate will melt and will give it a more chocolaty taste overall (which is what I did and really liked the flavor).

4. Spread into foil-lined 8x8 pan and stick in the fridge.

5. Once cooled, flip out hardened bars and cut to the size you like.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails