Friday, November 26, 2010

After Thanksgiving Turkey Soup



This Thanksgiving I wanted to make some turkey stock. We boiled the Turkey carcass in a large pot with water, onions, and celery for about 3-4 hours.  Afterward, I looked for a good turkey soup recipe and found this one.  It looked pretty easy and all the reviews sang praises for it so I though I would give it a try.  I didn't follow the first step since I already made my own stock, but this seems nice and quick if you haven't made your own yet.  I did take some of the suggestions and cut down on the butter, flour, and cream and added corn.  I think it turned out really well!  The pictures were all from the first day of soup, and I have to say the second day the soup was even better than the first! I will definitely make this soup again!

(that giant container of stock is only about half of the stock we got from the turkey carcass)

 After Thanksgiving Turkey Soup
From All Recipes

Ingredients:
1 leftover turkey carcass
2-3 medium onions, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup flour
1-2 cups half and half cream
2 cups uncooked long grain rice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules (if desired)
3/4 tsp pepper

Directions:
1. Place Turkey carcass in a soup kettle or dutch oven and cover with water.  Bring toa boil.  reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or more.  Remove carcass and set aside 3 qt. broth.  Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces; set aside.

2.  In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrtos, and celery in butter until tender.  Reduce heat; stir flour until blended.  gradually add 1 qt. of reserved broth.  Bring to a bowl; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

3. Add rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, remaining broth and reserved turkey.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.  Add the cream during the last 10 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails